Kidai Shoran (detail) © Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Museum für Asiatische Kunst (Asian Art Museum, National Museums in Berlin), former collection of Hans-Joachim and Inge Küster, gift of Manfred Bohms 2002, photography: Tadao Kodaira
This fish market on the north side of Nihonbashi Bridge, known as “the kitchen of Edo,” is crowded. The market started as a place for suppliers to the shogunate to sell their surplus fish. Customers included brokers and wholesalers, peddlers, and ordinary people. After the Great Kantō Earthquake of 1923, the market moved to Tsukiji, and then more recently to Toyosu.