Sushi Shop Tamazushi

Kidai Shoran (detail) © Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Museum für Asiatische Kunst (Asian Art Museum, National Museums in Berlin), former collection of Hans-Joachim and Inge Küster, gift of Manfred Bohms 2002, photography: Tadao Kodaira

Tamazushi was the first sushi shop to open on Nihonbashi Street but, at the time this scroll was made, sushi was being sent out for sale in street stalls. The business later moved to the south side of Nihonbashi Bridge. Long, narrow indigo-dyed banners, like the one shown here high up on the bamboo pole, indicated eating and drinking establishments. Even today, because of the close proximity to fish markets, there are many venerable sushi shops in the area. They still serve Edo-style sushi (nigirizushi), which is formed by hand and originated around 1818–1830. Prior to that, sushi was pressed in a box or mold, and that type is known as oshizushi.